Monday, September 13, 2010

Quick meals

Rotisserie chicken, sliced Roma tomato, avocado slivers, fresh green grapes
baby carrots and chopped romaine lettuce with Greek dressing.
I am a new mom. I wake up several times during the night to feed and change my beautiful baby boy. I love being a mother. I love the challenges and the rewards that I experience and receive every day. When my baby boy smiles at me, I know that there is right in the world and that I am doing right by him. Being a mom is tough, I never realized just how tough until I had my son three months ago. I wish I could give my mom a trophy for her patience and commitment to her family. She had seven children, all of which are two years apart. Wow...

One of the challenges I have faced as a new mom is the act of eating. My son has had colic for the last two months. It is subsiding now, but man was it interesting around dinner. Luckily I have my fiance's family to help. We would eat in shifts so that my son would have someone to soothe him by marching back and forth through the house. I basically inhaled my food through his periods of fussiness. Forget about making a curry or even mashed potatoes for dinner if the in-laws were out. I figured out that quick dinners were key. This brings me to my point which is: quick dinners can be tasty and good for you!

What is a quick dinner? Well, I consider a quick dinner to be something you can put together in five minutes or less. Ten minutes is pushing it, but can qualify as a quick dinner. Salads are great because you can add proteins to them and they are healthy. I love making salads and adding a can of organic garbanzo beans as a finishing touch. Sliced vegetables and tomato soup is also a winner as is cuts of rotisserie chicken served with green grapes, slices of avocado, tomatoes, diced Romaine lettuce and a chunk of sourdough baguette. Yum! What's your favorite quick dinner?

1 comment:

  1. You are the best chef i know, so when u come to visit i will watch rowan and big sis iam ready for ur cooking. I have memories of you cooking birthday day dinners. One time you made spring rolls and chow mein for me i miss ur tasty soups and ur sweet dimples. love ya

    ReplyDelete